Monday, September 13, 2004

Cover Your Ass Portal

Over at Reason's Hit and Run Blog they have christened the CBS scandal Cover Your AssGate after the "CYA" at the top of one memo's.

This reminds me of a story:

Once I was complaining to a co-worker about political correctness and I pointed out that recently on a nature show they had featured the Texas Horned Toad. I complained that everybody knew it was actually called a "Horny Toad" and that the name had been altered because the word "Horny" had shifted in meaning over the years (it used to mean rough and bumpy, not aroused).

My coworker who was from England questioned the existence of the beast. I related that they were very common in my youth before the fire ants nearly wiped them out. They're fascinating creatures who can burrow straight down by wiggling rapidly from side to side and they squirt blood from their eyes.

I told my coworker, "I'm a horny-toad lover."

My coworker looked at me for a long moment and then said, "That's a phrase were the hyphens are very important."

I suggest that "Cover-Your-Ass Gate" works better than "Cover Your AssGate"